Autonomic neuropathy is a set of conditions caused by damages to an individual’s nerve. Autonomic neuropathy can lead to various symptoms like night sweats, dizziness, and constipation. These nerves are part of an individual’s autonomic nervous system which controls various body functions like blood pressure, body temperatures, Urination, heart rate, bowel movements, and Digestion. When these nerves are damaged, they affect the signals between your body organs and your brain.
Treatment of Autonomic Neuropathy
A doctor will always treat the disease that leads to your nerve damage. For instance, if you’ve diabetes, you will be required to control your blood sugar with exercise, diet, and recommended medicine.
For Sjogren’s syndrome which an autoimmune disease, you will require medication which will control your entire immune system as well as bring down inflammation in your entire body.
A doctor will, therefore, recommend other items to ease specific symptoms.
1. To treat digestive symptoms
- Laxatives can help an individual with constipation as well as other medicines which can cure belly pain and diarrhea.
- Change your diet: it is advisable for an individual to take smaller amounts of meals to prevent being too full.
- Prevent heartburn by sleeping with your head of your bed raised.
2. To treat urinary symptoms
- Ditropan XL (Oxybutynin) and Detrol(tolterodine) help in stopping your bladder muscle from squeezing more often. You can use Bethanechol to empty your bladder.
- Drink fluids more often and empty your bladder at different occasions during the day. This helps your bladder to hold more fluid.
- Use a catheter: This is a tube which helps in emptying your bladder.
3. To treat sweating problems
- There are a few drugs which can help in making less sweat. These drugs include Robinul( glycopyrrolate, Robinul Forte) and botulinum toxin.
- An individual should stay indoors when it is hot outdoor in case they don’t sweat enough.
4. To treat blood pressure and heart symptoms:
- It is recommended that you take medicines like midodrine or fludrocortisone and Mestinon( pyridostigmine) which can help in raising your blood pressure.
- Take Beta-blockers to control your Herat rate. This helps in bringing your heart back into the right rhythm.
- It is advisable that you stand slowly to prevent getting dizzy.
- Get extra fluid and salt in your diet to help in raising your blood pressure. You should only do this if your doctor recommends it. This is because in some cases, it can cause swelling or raise your blood pressure to high levels.
5. To treat sexual symptoms
- Drugs like tadalafil(Cialis), Sildenafil(Viagra, ), and Staxyn( Levitra, vardenafil) helps men get as well as keep an erection.
- Women are advised to use a water-based lubricant so that they can make sex more enjoyable.
Support and coping
It is very fundamental for an individual to search for support which will help in coping with autonomic dysfunction. This helps in improving your quality of life and managing physical symptoms.
Recommended methods for coping as well as improving quality of life include:
a). Therapy with an experienced therapist, counselor, or psychologist can help you cope with depression.
b). Seek or ask your therapist about support groups.
c). Accept support and help from your friends and family.
d). Ask for help in case you need it.…